Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day 20: Chocolate chip banana cookies

I have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies and I'm always in the lookout for new recipes.  Lately, in an effort to make myself feel better about, I've been substituting flour and butter for more healthier options.  Namely coconut oil, whole wheat flour, and by using dark chocolate chips.  

After coming home after a five day trip to find an overripe banana on my kitchen counter, I decided to make these.  It's an adaptation of a Martha Stewart recipe found here.  The cookies came out moist and cake like.  The banana flavor is subtle, and not too over powering.  I felt there was a bit too much salt, but that could be because my 2 year old may have used the salt shaker while I had him mix the dry ingredients!  

Enjoy!


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla 
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line or coat baking sheet with butter or olive oil.

2.  Mix flour, baking soda and salt in bowl.

3.  In large mixing bowl, mix oil, sugars, egg, and vanilla.  Add flour mixture.

4.  Add banana until mixed in.  Add chocolate chips.

5.  Spoon dough onto baking sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly browned.  Makes 12-16 cookies depending on size.

No comments:

Post a Comment