Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Day 286: For the love of Chloé, and a good crossbody

As a busy mom about town, I have always been drawn to a good crossbody.  On our recent trip to Paris I was able to escape my family, and the hustle and bustle of the Champs-Élysées, for a few moments to see some of my Chloé favorites at their flagship store located on avenue Montaigne.  

Upon entering I was greeted by their Fall-Winter 2015 Ready-to-wear collection.  Long flowing blouses and dresses, coupled with tailored jackets and slacks blend a classic masculine edge with a post modern feminine feel.  With current head designer Clare Waight Keller at the helm, this 63 year old design house continues it’s fresh look on the casual yet elegant female figure.  

Egyptian born founder Gaby Aghion was responsible for coining the phrase ‘pret-a-porter’ (ready-to-wear).  After lamenting that couture fittings take too long, Aghion revolutionized Parisian high fashion - and the way we shop today - by offering her clients pieces that were ready made.  With continued guidance in the past few decades by fashion powerhouses, such as Karl Lagerfeld and Stella McCartney, ‘la maison’ Chloé has been known for their fresh and youthful take on the stylish bohemian woman.

At their flagship store in Paris you will find a large selection of pieces.  The latest collection in store is a classic mix of hard and soft.  A vertical line of buttons outlining a delicate sash neck tie; rounded bubble sleeves and ruffles on tailored, rich fabrics; wools and tweeds framing soft chiffons and silks.  The handbags and jewelry also reflect this juxtaposition of the hard and soft with supple leathers bound by gold hardware, and draping necklaces with sharp shapes next to threaded tassels.  

The 'Marcie' in a medium crossbody.


I was particularly drawn to the 'Marcie' medium leather crossbody bag. It's soft pebble leather, with brushed gold hardware, and saddle shape gives it an equestrian feel, taking me back to my riding days. For seasons I had flirted with this bag, and today on this crisp Parisian Fall day, I was ready to take it home.  

After going through all the colors (and there are a lot!) I went with the blush nude.  This soft pink color is so versatile, I can use it with my Summer or Winter wardrobes.  It can also be worn to formal events or more casual daily outings.  The ‘Marcie’ keeps it’s shape well and is spacious, yet not too deep interiorly.  A crossbody has that grab-and-go quality that moms like me can’t resist.  Another crossbody that caught my eye was the ‘Drew’ which is slightly more formal with bright yellow gold hardware.

The 'Drew' in a few of its colors

As I walked out of the store and on to avenue Montaigne with my new purchase packed and slung across my shoulder, I saw my family waiting for me.  I put the shopping bag around the handle of the double stroller, and happily resumed my perfectly Parisian Fall day.

Chloé Montaigne
44 avenue Montaigne
Hours:  Monday to Saturday, 10:30 am to 7 pm
Contact: +33 1 4723 0008

No comments:

Post a Comment