Sunday, November 8, 2015

Day 312: French Toast

According to my book, Sunday mornings are made for French Toast.  When I first got married, my husband bought me a griddle.  He knew my love of breakfast foods ran deep.  Since then, pancakes and French toast have been a staple at our house, especially when we have houseguests.  Though sometimes we'll try variations with different techniques or ingredients, a basic recipe with 100% pure maple syrup is still the best way to go.  And this is my go to recipe.

I've tried a variety of breads: baguette, challah, brioche (my favorite) and naan (that one didn't turn out so great).  I've also toasted it, and used day old dry bread (didn't make that much of a difference).  For the sake of simplicity, I usually make it with the regular pre-sliced bread.  And since I'm on a detox with no white bread, I used a whole wheat bread.  My next idea is to try cinnamon raisin bread, but that's for after my detox!  





Ingredients:
6 eggs
1/4 cup low fat milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 pieces of whole wheat bread

Directions:
1.  Preheat the griddle to 350 degrees F.  
2.  Lightly beat the eggs and add the milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.  
3.  Take each piece of bread individually and soak it on both sides with the batter, and lay it on the griddle.  After about 3-4 minutes, flip.  Fry until each side until lightly brown.

You can serve this with a simple assortment of fruit like bananas, or berries.  Or you can make an apple cinnamon compote, recipe found here.  Whatever you do, don't forget the maple syrup!  

No comments:

Post a Comment